15 January 2007

bring out your dead

I can't handle it still being dark at 8:45 am.

So I suppose you might be wondering how the Clint Dempsey Fulham era started. Although Directv didn't have the game listed, thanks to my good friends at SoccerTV.com, I knew that the game was going to be shown live on Setanta Extra at 10 AM. So I got up and took my usual spot on the couch, and prepared myself for an awesome display of "We Hungry" (he should fit in wonderfully in London).

But alas, the starting Midfielders were Captain Michael Brown (who, honestly, I'm not that fond of), Tomasz Radzinski (Canadian), Wayne Routledge (on loan from Tottenham. Shifty. Small.) and either Mortiz Volz (a past winner of My New Favorite German) or Carlos Bocanegra (American. Scores the occasional big goal. Sort of clueless.)

If you're wondering why I couldn't tell if Boca was playing defense or midfield, you haven't seen Boca play for Fulham.

In any case, Dempsey didn't play (or appear on the screen at all), McBride scored (as usual), Boca and the other central defender fell asleep at the wheel and gave a goal away (twice this year now), and Fulham came back to earn the tie (as usual). Good game, anyway.

* * * * *
she looks better in person
Friday, John and I went down to the MLS draft. Prior to the draft Steve had told us that it was a 3 deep draft, and that unfortunately RSL had the fourth pick.

But as it turned out, RSL got the guy they were after, Columbus' traveling fanshow got punched in the crotch when Columbus' braintrust traded away their first round draft pick for future considerations, and I got freaky with Maurice Edu's posse of Nubian princesses. Two of those three statements are true.

The draft is sort of dull, to be honest; there's not much drama in watching a bunch of guys you've never heard having their names read off. But it was a very nice looking production, and I'd go again... Unfortunately John and I left before the call for Southern Illinois University at Edwardsville's Mike Banner... and it's a good thing because I may have yelped with joy - I am also a SIUE alum.

* * * * *

And the Colts won and get to play the Patriots for a chance at the Superbowl. Hold on Indy, you're about to get Belichicked again. The last football game I watched was the Colts' victory over the Patriots (which took place while I was out in Vegas) - I told my co-viewers that the Colts were getting the win out of the way so they could lose in the playoffs.

That said, I'd like for them to win. I just don't have any faith in Payton at all. He's got the constant look of "I just pooped my pants and I have to wear them for another 3 hours" on his face. At least when Elway was blowing games he had the decency to smile about it (which always drove me nuts). Elway did get over, eventually...

* * * * *

One last thing... I'm hearing rumors of Gooch to Chelsea? Please god, no.

* * * * *

Ok, another last thing:
Dave will then take a ceremonial free kick from 30 yards over a wall that is the Jackson 5 (Michael in the middle) and the ball will magically curl up and over the Jackson 5 and into the top corner. Then the goal will split in half like in the opening ceremony for USA 94. Then James Brown's "Living in America" will boom over the loudspeaker.
Interesting to hear what folks thing about the Beckham deal on the other side of the pond. Thanks, Football365.com mailbox.

*

No comments: