16 January 2007

what to do?

As you probably already know, I don't consider myself a Hoosier; In fact I hate the word. Since I grew up in Southern Illinois just outside of St. Louis, I always associated the word hoosier with South City St. Louis folk, who were called hoosiers out of disrespect.

When we moved here it took quite a while to adjust to the bombardment that is the use of the word "hoosier" in the state of Indiana. Count how many times you hear the word in one day - it will surprise you.

Anyway, since I didn't grow up here, I still feel like I've missed a lot. Coworkers speak of towns just outside the city that I've never heard of or visited, people speak of parts of the city I've never seen... and I'd like to see it all, really. But where to start?

If you asked me for a list of places to start your visit in St. Louis, I could come up with one pretty easily: The Arch, Busch Stadium, Soulard, The Central West End, The Hill, The Loop... most are nice neighborhoods that have unique characteristics that make them worthwhile.

If I was making a list of places to see in Indianapolis, it would go like this: The racetrack, the canal, Broad Ripple, maybe Fountain Square... is that really all there is?

Where do you bring guests from out of town? What do we have in Indianapolis that's worth showing off? What am I missing? Or have I really seen it all already?

2 comments:

Mike said...

I am familiar with the Blue Monkey Sideshow... I'm just not sure that's the sort of thing I was looking for. I wonder if they all live in a house together and have foppish hair?

Nevermind, that's the Blue Monkees Sideshow.

Anonymous said...

I would take them to Mass Ave, Irvington, Woodruff Place, Chatham Arch/Old Northside areas