12 January 2007

sunil galati is a tiny man

I've just returned from the downtown Indianapolis Hyatt, where I saw a virtual smorgasbord of who's who in MLS and US Soccer. Gina, John and myself met with Steve just as things seemed to pick up at the hotel bar.

As we awaited Steve's arrival, the first person I noticed was Eric Wynalda. For those of you with no Eric Wynalda background - Eric is the all time leader in goals for your US National Team. He's also responsible for one of the few times I've actually jumped for joy while watching a sporting event (at 1:22 in thisyoutube clip... i think).

Then we saw Rob Stone, the ESPN analyst, and then John Harkes, and Preki, and met Peter Wilt, who was fantastically nice (as I now see reported) and who listened to my Yellowstone buffalo collision story with what seemed to be a level of genuine interest.

Then we saw Sunil Galati.

Then Bruce Arena walked behind us. Even Gina knows who Bruce Arena is.

And I'm forgetting a bunch of people. I met a bunch of RSL staff, all of whom were very nice.

And pretty much every MLS GM and coach, aside from Alexi Lalas, who was probably busy figuring out ways to make money off the Beckham deal.

Of course I shouldn't forget to mention that Steve served as a wonderful host for us when he wasn't busy working. Great guy, that Steve. But you knew that already.

All in all, a pretty sort of surreal experience. Just me and John and Gina, hanging out at a bar with half my high school idols. Not bad.

4 comments:

Gina said...

It was indeed a very good time. It felt much like Phil's parties when I was in Junior High. I thought I was so cool to be hanging out with the High Schoolers. Except this time there were no girls walking around in their bras and there wasn't a fear of the cops coming to break up the fun. Really though, it was very gracious of Steve to not only invite us (and by us, I mean Mike) but to also be a fantastic host. Thanks Steve! Hope you can make it back sometime soon for that dinner at Brugge.

scot said...

That's great stuff. And boy of boy are you right about Sunil.

Tiny, tiny man.

Jim said...

Sounds like a good time. Wish I could have been there.

I also wanted to beg forgiveness for never stopping by to pick up that Hopslam from you. The holidays got hectic and well . . . you know. Anyway, you and Scot ought to join us Hoosier Beer Geeks for a roundtable some time.

Mike said...

Jim - don't worry that the hopslam went to waste.. I'm still trying to get one down. I've got friends coming to town in a couple weeks and I look forward to seeing if any of them like it.

As far as the Hoosier Beer Geeks thing goes, I'm definitely planning on catching up with you all eventually. Maybe I should before the fame hits from your newspaper story.