04 October 2006

my new favorite german

Warning: In the following post I'm going to call soccer "football" and call shoes "boots". You can blame my constant viewing of the Premiership.

Today while kicking around at a few soccer messageboards, I stumbled across a link to the official site of Fulham's German fullback/midfielder Moritz Volz. As you may have picked up, I consider myself a Fulham fan, so of course Moritz's site was of interest to me from a football end of things. What I was not aware of was that Volz's website could teach me about Germany, and perhaps even life and love.

Mr. Volz also is a fantastic ambassador for German culture. If you scroll down a bit on this page, you'll learn fantastic German phrases that can come in handy during any visit. After you've learned "Kannst du meine aermel abschneiden" (Please can you cut the sleeves off my denim jacket?) you may be tempted to find the nearest German restaurant just to practice your new skills. I know the idea certainly crossed my mind.

Because Moritz is German, he's a fan of David Hasseloff. You may have noticed the picture accompanying this post; he's even gone as far as to have "The Hoff" embroidered into his football boots.

Although the list of Germans I could consider my favorite is quite long (let's start with Germans I know of... Hitler... um... The Scorpions...), Mr. Voltz has vaulted himself to the top of the list. So here's to you Moritz Volz: Kanpai*.

* * * * *

*Japanese for "Cheers"

No comments: