24 May 2007

Go Cougs

Back when I was in college, which still wasn't so long ago, we were required to take a COBOL programming class. This made no sense to anyone, because COBOL wasn't used anywhere. But it probably served as a nice primer for me, since I'm programming in a different dead language now, BASIC. Or Pick/BASIC.

As an aside: check out all the jobs on monster for PICK programmers!!!)

Today, as I was reading an article about the top 10 dead (or dying) computer skills, I came across this nugget:
...you can actually learn Cobol at Southern Illinois University at Edwardsville, which according to Mary Sumner, a professor there, still offers a Cobol course. "Two of the major employers in the area still use Cobol, and for many of their entry-level jobs, they want to see that on the transcript," she says. "Until that changes, we'd be doing the students a disservice by not offering it."
A disservice? A disservice is requiring a dead language when the world's going crazy over Java or ASP or god know what (I'm completely out of that loop), and not offering one Web based programming class at all. I've been fucking disserviced.

Anyway, I thought my friends Dave and Mark would enjoy the link... you guys had COBOL, right?

Here's another COBOL story
. No SIUE in this one though.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

I took COBOL and Java...and I use both of them equally on a daily basis.

Mike said...

We didn't have Java when I was a wee lad... do you really use them both now? Don't you miss wiring things together?

Anonymous said...

I use them both equally...that is to say I never use either of them. And sometimes I do miss wiring and working on phones and such.

Unknown said...

SIUE also still offers classes like 'Shithouse Cleaning' and 'Rules of the Dirt Path'.

I think SIU-E is a subsidiary of Edward Jones. At least Jones wanted D1 soccer.

Putting COBOL on a resume is a two-sided sword. On the first side, these two major employers will try to hire you for COBOL and you will decline. On the second side, other employers will giggle and ask you why you have COBOL or not even call you for an interview.

On the third side, Common Business Oriented Language will never die. But if I had to use it, I probably would.

* * * * * (Mike stars)

Should I have been fitted for a tux by now?

Mike said...

I was already fitted (in Trenton), Dave, and I live in Indiana.

You might wanna hop on that.

Mike said...

Oh, and those are actually called Debbie stars. But no one knows who Debbie is, except me. And Gina, sort of.