12 December 2006

free freddy adu

In case you don't follow soccer, or somehow didn't here, Freddy Adu is now a member of your Real Salt Lake soccer club.

I received the news two ways; first, as I sat on my couch post-work yesterday and turned on ESPN, the Sportscenter preview let me know that Freddy had been traded to RSL. I actually said "Holy shit, Steve" and then yelled up the stair to Gina with the news.

Then I checked my gmail account and found an email from RSL GM (and email pal) Steve Pastorino with the title "How's this?" and the news.

I think the deal is great for RSL; they get a name player to help push the stadium, a talented kid who's familiar with the coach, but maybe even more importantly, they also picked up Nick Rimando, a goaltender who can push Scott "Go Go" Garlick - either from his regular goaltending position as "the immovable object*" or out the door somewhere else.

RSL game up a player allocation (provided by the "Beckham rule") and Jay Nolly in the deal - so basically they gave up next to nothing, considering they didn't even have a player allocation a month ago (and I don't think they were going to use it anyway), and the fact that Nolly never played.

A good deal all around, in my opinion. And if Freddy leaves when he turns 18, they've still picked up a goalie who knows what he's doing.

* * * * *

*If Scott Garlick falls in the woods, does he make a sound? Nevermind, falling involves quick movement, something Go Go isn't real familiar with.

2 comments:

scot said...

I love that trade for so many reasons. Freddy gets out from under Nowak who seemingly never really wanted him in the first place. He's out of DC which is great for the Crew, DC being an eastern conference team. I don't think DC will really get an allocation that pans out like Freddy could have. RSL is gonna be one of the funnest teams to watch next year.

The Crew looks forward to seeing them at MLS Cup. :)

torporindy said...

Heh, I thought of you when I heard the news.