18 December 2006

alterations to suit and bravado

You may recall my recent experience in suit shopping, where I failed to make a purchase after visiting various stores. I did eventually buy a suit at a Macy's in Greenwood. After fighting with finding the right suit for so long, I found something I was really happy with, and something I felt fit me quite well, right off the shelf.

The Macy's store was extremely busy when I made my purchase, and I decided it would be best to have my tailoring work done elsewhere. I had in mind a certain downtown location, close to work, in a very established looking building.

I've just returned from Leon Tailoring, a store filled with rolls of fabric, old hardwood floors, and a sort of old world handmade charm that should have clued me in immediately that I was in over my head. It was a Leon that I received a harsh lesson in how not to wear a suit from an Old Guy Who's Been In The Business A Long Time.

While he didn't call himself that, his demeanor said it all. From his no nonsense approach, his complete lack of hesitance in telling me I was wearing the wrong size, and his quick unbuttoning on my trousers (he unbuttoned them, held them in place and said "See, isn't this better?"), I knew I was in the hands of an old pro. I also knew that I felt like an idiot.

"You should have got the coat in a 39. Or a 40."

Actually, I tried the coat in a 40 and hated it. "I actually like it tight."

"You look like you've grown out of it."

"Ok..."

"What do you want me to do with this? The pants would be $40, the coat (some other number), the sleeves $28... I don't want to just take your money."

Although he was a full foot shorter than I, he had me completely beaten. He might as well have been screaming "Be a man!"

"I'd like to have the sleeves lengthened."

"Ok, when do you want it."

"I'm not in a hurry."

"Call me Thursday."

1 comment:

Arthur said...

Man, I can totally relate. I never know how that stuff is supposed to fit and I'm always embarrassed when some old guy explains that even though it feels comfortable, it's not fitting right.