18 April 2006

you're kidding, right?

So just as I've decided that I'll be pledging my allegiance to Real Salt Lake, I discover this news.
A group of investors is looking at acquiring an expansion team that would begin play in 2008 in the St. Louis area, possibly in the Metro East. The main issue is securing a location and putting together financing to build a soccer-specific stadium. A final decision on a stadium site could come in the next few weeks.
Metro East? That probably means the east side. I'm from the east side of St. Louis!*

Honestly, I don't believe this is going to happen. While St. Louis is well know for producing soccer talent, I can't recall a huge demand for tickets back when the USMNT played Guatemala at the St. Louis Soccer Park. I guess we'll see how it plays out.

It's good news if it does happen, of course. I'll just be rooting for someone else.



*By "east side of St. Louis" I do not mean East St. Louis. I mean more east than East St. Louis. Like 25 miles more east.

2 comments:

Jim said...

You really think that St. Louis wouldn't do a good job of supporting an MLS team? Every time I've been to St. Louis, Billikens soccer games have been televised locally. I doubt that would happen in any other city.

Mike said...

I think that if the ownership group makes the mistake of putting the team in East Alton or basically anywhere on the east side of the river, they can forget about anyone from the west side of the river showing up.

If I remember correctly, St. Louis did an unbelievable job of supporting their St. Louis Steamers MISL team back in the 80's before the league self destructed, so maybe there's still an audience there.

I'm surprised you've seen SLU on TV... was it cable access or something?