18 April 2006

and the winner is...

I've made a decision.
Hey Steve,

So I finally got around to watching the game last night. Much better effort all around, especially on the defensive end. NY's goal was pretty unfortunate, but I guess those things happen.

I'm sure you're busy but I've got a few questions if you get a bit of time.

I'm wondering how you're feeling about things so far this year? I get the feeling that the team hasn't really met your expectations. What were your expectations, and have you adjusted them?

What should I look for this weekend against Houston?

And I've got a question about the Alexi Lalas move or maybe a question about being a GM in general (if you can talk about it). Is a job for LA Galaxy necessarily a better than a job for Red Bull NY? I'd assume money comes into any decision, and maybe location as well, but is there a "marquis" GM job in the league? Are there owners that are more likely to spend money? And why has Lalas had three different GM jobs already? Does having a couple really horrible CDs out make you a lock for a job out in LA? I've got a few guitars if you want to borrow one.

You can probably tell by now that I've chosen RSL as my team. I like the idea that there isn't much history there to get caught up on. I like that you have a mazda miata in the corner of your stadium (that's what it looked like, anyway). I like the hippies with drums I saw on the tv broadcast (as long as they're mormon). I like the mountain west conference. I like Scott Garlick's mustache. I feel like I can teach your forwards to tuck in their shirts. I still don't know the names of any of your fullbacks except Eddie Pope. But it's all coming to me.

Congratulations, you've done a fine job of selling your team. Thanks for your hard work. You put a great face on the organization and I'm always happy to read what you have to say.

But most importantly, I feel like you've got the right ideas as far as where to go with the franchise, and I think the future is going to be very rewarding for Real Salt Lake and for me as a fan.

Thanks again,

Mike
And here's the consolation emails I sent to Curt Johnson and Mark McCullers. I'm sure they were heartbroken.

Thanks go out to Kansas City Wizards' GM Curt Johnson:
Curt,

I want to thank you once again for taking the time to respond to my original email. Your argument for Kansas City was very strong and based primarily in the product on the field, and your results so far this year certainly makes for a strong case.

But... I've decided to root for Real Salt Lake. Steve Pastorino has put forth an unbelievable effort in trying to gain my attention, and although you've also done a fine job, his work has been impossible to ignore. I truly believe that RSL are committed to a winning and world class organization, and I like the idea of getting in (as a fan) as close as possible to the beginning of what I believe is going to be fine tradition of excellence.

I want to congratulate you on your success so far this year, and I wish you luck going forward.

Thanks again,

Mike
And another round of thanks for Columbus Crew GM Mark McCullers:
Mark,

I just wanted to thank you again for the effort and time you put forth in trying to convince me to become a Crew fan. You're email was very impressive, and in most cases you would have been more than convincing enough to persuade me to root for the Crew.

But... I've decided to root for Real Salt Lake. Steve Pastorino has put out an unbelievable effort to convince me to root for RSL, and I like the idea of rooting for a team with as little history as possible - that way there's less to catch up on. I also like the direction that RSL's management hopes to go with the team, and I think there's a solid future coming for Real Salt Lake.

I hope (well, I know) that you won't take this news too hard, and I also hope that I can buy you a beer when I get out to Columbus for a game this year. Your efforts were commendable and I know that your time is valuable. The least I can do is offer you a frosty reward.

I wish you the best of luck this year and I hope to get back to you later to let you know when I'm coming out. Perhaps you could even recommend a specific game?

Thanks again.

Mike


So what did I get out of this? Well first, a $70 charge on my DirecTV bill. But more importantly, I learned that Major League Soccer is a successful, viable and accessible league, with teams that truly care about their fans. I'm still a bit amazed at the effort that these three gentlemen made, but more so by the effort made by Steve Pastorino.

It's refreshing to easily speak with someone so important to an organization that truly has great aspirations. And while the product on the field certainly played a part in my decision, Steve's work was definitely the strongest factor in winning my support. It's also been good to see the improvements RSL have made in the past three weeks, and I believe they're coming around. At least I hope so. They're my team now.

4 comments:

Mike said...

Curt Johnson responded right away with a quick note....

All the best. If you are looking to pick a favorite player on RSL...you can't go wrong with Chris Klein! Enjoy the games.
Curt

Mike said...

And also Mark McCullers...

Mike – well, I am certainly disappointed but I’m glad that you are engaged in soccer, particularly MLS soccer. And, since winning fans is my business, my efforts will continue so keep tuned to Columbus – you may change your mind. As for games to attend, you can’t go wrong with the D.C. – Columbus rivalry (5/20 & 6/9). Since your favorite team is RSL – the 8/16 Wednesday night Buck-a-Brat night is a must for you. And I’ll take you up on the beer! Enjoy.

scot said...

This has all been good reading, Mike.

Curt Johnson should have also mentioned that Chris Klein is an IU boy. And McCullers, well, he should just worry about finding us a d-mid now that Danny's crocked.

Good luck with RSL.

torporindy said...

Yes, this has been fun to read. I was kind of pulling for RSL as well. I was really impressed by the effort Mr. Pastorino put forth.

On the other, buck a brat night at Columbus sounds like a good time.