20 July 2005

i hate music

shudder to think - ballad of maxwell demon
jack wilson - see sky crumbling


You might think that since I bother with posting music on this blog that I'm a fan of music, but the truth is that it's pretty rare that I actually hear something I like. In fact, even if I find something I like, it's pretty likely that I'll sour on it within a month or two.

I've been trying to find new stuff that hasn't been heard basically anywhere to post here, but like I said, I don't really like anything.

So that's why the two tracks I've put up today are special. They're both things I've liked for quite some time now, even though originally I would have never thought that would be the case (and I'll explain below).

The first track is Shudder To Think's "Ballad Of Maxwell Demon" from the Velvet Goldmine soundtrack... have I posted this before? For some reason I think I have now... nevermind, I haven't.

I've always dug this song for a few reasons: 1) I liked the movie 2) I always picture guys wearing white leather gloves performing this song, and for some reason that appeals to me 3)there's a lot of harmony here 4) it's quite dramatic. Or at least it sounds quite dramatic. I've never really paid any attention to the lyrics, other than to notice they sound good with the music.

This sort of glammy stuff usually isn't my thing, but this song has always been good to me. So now I'd like it to be good to you.

The second track is by DJ Brewer, a guy I know from Pittsburgh, who goes by the alias of Jack Wilson for performance sake. When you know someone in a band or someone who performs, I think it's only natural that you'll be forgiving or overlook their shortcomings in order to enjoy what they do. In the past I've had friends in horrible bands that I still learned to enjoy because I enjoyed the people. It's only in hindsight that you realize how horrible their music or art truly was.

But in the case of DJ's stuff I've never had to overlook or forgive anything. This track works for me because I can relate to the way he's thinking (which I take as "everything falls apart, but fuck it"), and because it's just really well done across the board.

So there it is. I hope he doesn't mind me giving it away for free. He's got more stuff at myspace, but that might require a registration or something. You'll see pictures of him there looking quite hard, but I can assure you he drinks milk straight from the baby cow's teet. Or something equally cute/frightening.

Have at it.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Dude I'm actually quite lactose intolerant. But I am a fan of teets.

HEY THANKS for putting that up there, and for the kind words. I'm really glad you and Gina got a chance to see me do my thing. That seems so long ago - that was like my 2nd live show ever and we've done so many more since.

On a relative note to that track, it was the very first thing I ever wrote w/NOEL730N who produced the track. I want to have it on my album, but I want to do a remake w/this band Soma Mestizo. We've performed it twice together live, they have a didgeridoo player who plugs into an amp and it sounds awesome. Very ominous/energetic at the same time.

Mike said...

i would like to see one of these live performances with band and some point so.... let me know how things go.