10 May 2005

i never left high school

murder city devils - get off the floor

When I was a teenager (and that felt weird to type), one of the many ways I found to establish my identity was to find a favorite song (usually something aggressive), roll down the windows in my car/truck, and play the song as loud as possible. Not so loud that the music would distort, of course, because I didn't want anyone to know that my stereo was stock. But loud enough that anyone within a 25 ft. distance of the vehicle could hear what I was playing.

When I moved on to college, the habit continued. I'm not sure what I was trying to prove. I realize blaring music out of my vehicle is probably the equivalent of screaming "look at me!!!". But nevertheless, I did it.

The thing is, I still do it. And I'm 29. I guess what I think I'm accomplishing is that someone will hear the music, turn their head, and give me a thumbs up. Or maybe an attractive girl, noticing my fantastic choice of music, will tear off her clothes in appreciation. That's not likely to happen. But still I hope...

Back around 1999, Gina and I went to see Pearl Jam at one of those cookie cutter outdoor ampitheaters in St. Louis. The opening act, the Murder City Devils, weren't well received by the crowd. But they did set their organ on fire, and act I found hilarious only because no one was really paying attention.

I suppose in a way it was their live equivalent of me blaring their song out my car window, which I've been known to do from time to time. It's really a fantastic song for doing so; completely angry and loud and aggresive, but not in a sort of jockrock way. I guess what I'm trying to accomplish with this song choice is to confuse my audience: Yuppie in a VW wearing Banana Republic clothes and a Lance Armstrong wristband blaring punk rock.

It's probably a better idea in my head then it ever was in practice.

No comments: