10 May 2005

this brain for sale

happy mondays - 24 hour party people

I'm the sort of person who easily falls in love with ideas. Whereas some people might fall in love with a genre of music, I'm more likely to find one or two songs from a genre, romanticise the idea of the people who enjoy that genre, and fill my head with the fantasy of the exciting lives those people are living.

You might find that pathetic, but because of my recent realization that half of what I do is funny as fuck, I find it charming. It's probably a bad thing to find your own idiocincracies charming. Or maybe it's a sign of being comfortable in your own skin.

Back to my original point: Because of the way I easily sell myself to an idea, the film 24 Hour Party People is one I enjoy greatly. The film is filled with music that may be entirely forgetable (depending on who you ask), yet I find the idea of it all highly entertaining and endearing.

I don't recommend the film for just anyone, because if you don't have a sort of rooting interest, it could be completely worthless to you. I didn't really have a rooting interest going in, but as I said earlier, I'm easily sold.

Anyway, this leads to my song choice. This song has a fantastic bass line, but the guitar part just sort of sits on top, almost getting in the way. The keyboard part (the sort of stupid random key stabs) seem to be there only because they had a keyboard in the studio. And the vocals are just the sort of thing I can picture coming out of the mouth of the local drunk (which probably isn't too far from the truth anyway).

Despite all that, I associate the song with the film, and that makes it even more enjoyable for me. I'd be interested to know if the song stands up by itself, and if anyone wants to comment on that, I'd appreciate it.

Enjoy. Or don't. Let me know how it goes.

1 comment:

Mike said...

"i hope i always have friends that are down with seeing a '24 Hour Party People' instead of 'Armageddon...'"

that kind of sums up everything, i think...

i once brought nate and dave and brent to see a cat power show in st. louis. i warned them about her "performances" and they went anyway, not really having any background at all...

and to be honest, that's not the sort of thing i think i should really expect out of those guys (well... i dunno..) but they went anyway.

err...

no, i don't have a similar radar for talent. though i did think fragile porcelain mice's (from st. louis) second album should have been huge.

it wasn't.