13 June 2007

your measurements and results

If you're like me, you're wondering what I've been listening to lately. You might say "Me, what are you listening to?" and then you'd reply and say something like this.

"Mastadon. I'm listening to Mastadon's Blood Mountain album. It's a flashback to the days when all I listened to were Megadeth and Metallica and Sepultura and Testament and 100 other bands that are slightly embarrassing in hindsight. But I like Mastadon, it sort of makes my head swim, especially after Hoosier Beer Geek outings."

"Anything else?" you'd ask yourself.

"Oh, I guess the new Queens of the Stone Age. I don't think it's that good, really, but it's got a couple standouts."

"That's it?"

"Well, I downloaded bought a bunch of albums on Pitchfork's recommended list, but nothing is standing out... wait... I'm listening to The Pony's 'Turn the Lights Out'. It reminds me of California and summer and it's probably one of those albums that I'll think is fantastic for about a month or two and then never listen to again. Or maybe not. So... The Ponys. And the new Frank Black album, Bluefinger, is the best thing he's done in forever. And I say that as a bonafide Frank Black fan - I'd rather listen to him than the Pixies. Did I ever tell you about the time I saw Frank Black in St. Louis? Second best show I ever saw. Behind Radiohead on the OK Computer tour, in a club. I like Radiohead most, maybe you didn't know that. Of course you know that, you're me. Duh."

"Ok, so you're crazy, right?"

"Only if I answer myself."

"Oh... good."

"I just want to point out that the Bjork album is horrible. She used to be so good... and then.. I dunno. And there's this Peter Bjorn and John song, 'Up Against the Wall', that's really good. And I'm really over Spoon. Blah."

"Anything else?"

"No. I just looked through my 'My Music' directory to be sure."

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

there is absolutely nothing embarrasing about megadeth, metallica, and sepultura. testament on the other hand.

so since we have some musical taste in common..have you heard this new band OPERATOR? they sound dead like Soundgarden when sound garden was awesome. On one hand i'm like, "cool". then on the other more sensible hand, i'm like, "i'm gonna go put on badmotorfinger".

-spitz