16 March 2007

Request to change nickname to "The John Cougars" was not approved

I thought I had heard rumblings, and now I know it to be true. Your Southern Illinois University at Edwardsville Cougars are making the jump to D1 athletics. What does this mean to you, the SIUE grad?

1) When you tell people where you went to school, the first words out of their mouth may no longer be "Oh, the Salukis?"

2) You are no longer able to piggyback your hopes on SIUC's basketball team in the NCAA tournament. Here's how I usually convey that: "Well, I went to SIUE, which is the sister school, so I figure it's as close as I'm going to get, anyway..."

3) Bring back out that 1979 NCAA D1 Soccer champ banner, we're BACK. SLU is scared to death right now. I still love you, Brian McBride.

4) It's time to shell out some bucks for your Red and White (or silver? who knows) Cougar gear. So what if it looks just like Houston's stuff.

5) We still don't have a football team. But we do have a sweet background on our athletics page. That's the best our CMIS/IT guys can do? Where'd they go to school, SIUE?

In any case, I'm pretty excited by the whole thing. It took me a long time to show any sort of pride over where I went to school, but now I'm going whole hog. I can't wait for SIUE shower curtains and SIUE mudflaps and SIUE bbq grills... I want it all, everything that goes along with being a D1 school.

* * * * *

While you're looking at stuff on the internet, check out Hoosier Beer Geek, where I've written a review of beer. Be sure to leave a comment about how it's the best review ever written... someone named anonymous already has... I wonder who that could be?

* * * * *

I'm off to Vegas next week, so don't expect much from this space until I get back, when I'll have a shocking expose about the real truth behind the movie Showgirls.

No comments: