28 February 2007

it's not a two-for

Not much going on currently, so here's a list of things. This is not a recommendation, because I'd hate for you to spend money on something because I liked it.

Movies: The New World - I've seen the words "Tone Poem" thrown around in reviews for this movie, and I'm not sure who used it first, but it makes sense to me. It's a two and a half hour dream of a movie, one that left me with the similar sense of calm (wellbeing, warmth, happiness) I got when I read Siddhartha.

Marie Antoinette - If the ability to relate to characters is a determining factor in your enjoyment of a film, maybe this movie isn't for you. I don't know exactly what I got out of this movie. Maybe I just enjoy shopping.

Music: It's been a slow year or something. I'm still listening to The National, who have a new album coming out soon, and The Thermals, who sort of remind me of Bad Religion. I'd recommend their album The Body, The Blood, The Machine if I were recommending things. But I'm not.

I'm also listening to Strung Out on Ok Computer, for reasons I can't explain. But only at work.

Low's Drums and Guns is ok. And I listen to Sonic Youth at least twice a week.

2 comments:

scot said...

Low has out a new album? I need to hear that.

The New World and Marie Antoinette are two of my most favorite movies that I have seen in the past year, and I saw about 250. So, I am glad you liked them too.

Mike said...

Only 250?

The Low album is a bit different... I mean, it's still Low, but all the vocals are panned hard right. I don't really know what the point of that was.