22 January 2007

A whole lotta not much

Although I was invited out Friday night, a severe lack of budget meant that instead Gina and I went to see Old Joy at Key Cinemas in beautiful south Indianapolis.

I don't think I can do the movie much justice; I found it fantastically accurate and honest, to the point that the dialog seemed almost based on former conversations I'd had myself. I'd like for all traveling friends to see it themselves.

Then again, they might think it's not any good.

Saturday morning was a Fulham tie (that's like ) and Clint Dempsey's debut in a Fulham shirt. He looked confident on the ball and helped in the effort to secure Fulham's goal. It's also quite possible that he fell asleep on the defensive end and allowed for Tottenham's easy goal. Here's a little article about Dempsey's debut.

Saturday afternoon was spent watching the National Team v Denmark. Not much worth reporting there; nice work by some MLS guys, but the game didn't mean much. I'm much more interested in the Mexico game.

After the game I made a pasta/arugula/olive salad that turned out ok, though a little light on taste. Then again, it was a Cooking Light recipe.

Saturday evening I caught the end of the replay between the US under-20's and Guatemala. I'd say the US team was less than impressive, and the 0-0 final score was a fitting result for the poor effort.

Sunday I spent the early part of the day watching Manchester United/Arsenal, and was glad to see Wayne Rooney score. Of course Arsenal ended up winning the match in the 93rd minute.

I then went out and shoveled the driveway; it was good to get some sort of exercise. I've been spending my time away from work exclusively on the couch. As a result I'm 5-10 pounds heavier than I should be.

I spent the better part of the afternoon cooking up Farmer's Market Chicken, a chicken/squash/carrot/tomato conconction. It was also underwhelming, though the chicken part of it was quite tasty. I finished in time to catch the second half of the Bears game.

Gina and I then watched the Colts. By halftime I found myself looking for something else to do, convinced that they had another loss on their hands. But my internet connection was down, so I kept myself on the couch and rode out the thrilling victory.

As good as the game way, the postgame local news coverage was even better: A 50-something female newscaster said "Get R Done" during the broadcast, the footage from a northside bar showed a bunch of drunk people posing and dancing for the cameras... I actually turned the tivo on to save the footage for later. What a parade of retardation.

But it was understandable. I don't think anyone here thought the Colts had much hope of actually winning the game. It was nice to see it happen.

The next two weekends should be good; first my birthdayish celebration next weekend, and a Colts Superbowl the next. Good times to come.

2 comments:

scot said...

I am thrilled you loved Old Joy.

Mike said...

I think Will Oldham's character reminded me of a few people I know, and those sort of drunken conversations you might be embarrassed about the next day if you hadn't had them with someone you're completely comfortable letting your guard down with.

what a sentence that was.

anyway, that's probably what i should have written in my short review, but i couldn't put the words together.