10 November 2006

it's going to be cold and rainy, so you might as well watch the mls cup final

Ah yes, the MLS cup... such a lovely ring to it, right? While I rarely get excited about MLS games (I mean... whatever), I'm pretty excited to see the final. We've got Houston and Dwayne "I scored on stupid Chelsea and I'm Canadian" DeRosario and World Cup Benchwarmer Brian "The Man Who Could Be Brian McBride-ish" Ching versus Taylor "Tyler Whatever" Twellman*, Steve "Mike knew a guy who was friends with him" Ralston*, Clint "we is hungry" Dempsey, and Pat "Screech" Noonan*.

It all adds up to a game that should be pretty entertaining. I caught the DC/NE semifinal while I was in Vegas, and the best part may have been the Bruce Arena/Eric Wynalda announcing tandem. It's nice when the announcers know what they're doing. Anyway, the game was pretty entertaining for a 1-0 match, so we'll see how it goes. I feel like I should be meeting up with people to watch this somewhere, so if anyone's interested in that idea, leave a comment.

But before all that, I'll spend part of Saturday catching the Fulham / Pompy match. Somehow Portsmouth (Pompy) are sitting at fourth in the table right now, so it should prove to be an entertaining and competitive match. It's a road game for Fulham, which last year meant automatic defeat. It's nice to not have to expect that this year.

So in any case, for those of you who don't watch soccer regularly, you might tune in the MLS final Sunday at 3:30 PM ET on ABC. I know that there's football on, but honestly, how fucking boring is that. It's like 3 hours of commercials with a bunch of bad announcing thrown in. Sounds like naptime to me.

* * * * *

*All these guys are out of St. Louis, too. Like Nelly. And Chingy. And Yogi Berra. And Bono. And The Beatles.

No comments: