11 September 2006

and all the wine..

While I'm a little upset over the lack of press coverage for the Admiral Spruance Regatta, I can only be happy with the results. After just two heat races, our team finished first, which means I'll be going to Vegas free of charge thanks to our sponsors; Citizens Gas, The Canal and White River State Park, Miller Light, Buggs Events, McFarling Foods, Intake, and 92.3 WTTS. I feel like a NASCAR driver.

It was hard work, but I can't exactly say that it felt like the prize fit the amount of work put in. I think I'm still a bit in shock over that fact that it was that easy. I don't mean that as a disrespect to other teams, it's just that it required no training; nothing like the months of work we put in for the Ride Across Indiana, and all we got for the ride was a t-shirt, a pewter keychain, and a time on a spreadsheet.

Surprisingly enough, I think the RAIN ride was more rewarding. But I'm not in Vegas yet.

This year is turning out so fantastic all around that I'm almost afraid to type that out. Gina warned me that if I didn't shut up about it then something bad was going to happen. But that's out of my control, and I do my best to not dwell on the negative these days. I feel like it's making a difference.

* * * * *

Oh crap I almost forgot...

RSL gets a tie against a DC United squad half stocked with reserves. I suppose a tie is better than a loss, and it was nice to come back and get the goal, but RSL is back in last, and 5 points out of a playoff spot. The worst part is that they're playing so much better now than they were when I saw them in Chicago, and the results still aren't what we want. 5 games left, we'll see how it goes.

FULHAM GETS A COME FROM BEHIND ROAD WIN ON A BOCANEGRA GOAL. WHAT? If you didn't know, Fulham won just one road game last year. Brian McAwesome also scored a very pretty off-angle goal and Newcastle can eat it. USA USA USA!*

Also Jimmy Bullard (my new guy) dislocated his knee in the most gruesome injury I've ever seen on television. Or maybe I just felt that way because he's playing for Fulham. Go figure, I just found it on YouTube (with the rest of the higlights, but it's the first thing shown). Look away...



* * * * *

Also also also..

Saturday Gina and I visited Brugge Brasserie (right? I can't pronounce that either, and the name reminds me of vikings in bras. Nice place though) and ate lunch, watched Man U/Tottenham (I'm reading about the Jewish history of Tottenham in How Soccer Explains the World, though it's entirely possible I haven't comprehended a bit of it... anyway, I don't know any Jewish people. Never have. I find that odd.), met Bobethy (I've never met anyone named Bobethy before either... is that a name, or like a blogger name? Perhaps we should have had this conversation. Nice guy, anyway)... and I'll be back again. Next week? Gotta see when Fulham's on first.

* * * * *

*This is the best soccer chant because everyone else thinks it's horrible, including me. Well it's not as good as CLAP-CLAP CLAP-CLAP-CLAP CLAP-CLAP CLAP-CLAP GEORGE BUSH! (used by US Fans at the World Cup this year), but close enough. The best chants are the ones that are the most offensive or generally annoying, I think.

We can have the soccer chant/song discussion now if anyone is interested. Any favorites?

Any favorite knee dislocation videos?

6 comments:

Arthur said...

Man that sucks, I've never even heard of that canal race. I would've loved to see that. You don't have links to any video footage, do you? Is it an annual event? Let me know of that stuff in the future and I'll post it to the Indianapolis Bloggers site. There should definitely be more buzz for something like that. Hope it was fun. Later!

Mike said...

Arthur,

The event was advertised in Intake with a half page ad,and this was the first ever Admiral Spruance Regatta. You missed the team from Rock Bottom Brewery (a bunch of drunk guys) wearing bikini tops and boxers rolled up to look like diapers, not to mention teams from Moe and Johnny's, Nicky Blaines, St. Elmos, and Yats.

I think everyone is hoping for more buzz next year, when the Buggs Temple building is actually open... I have a feeling they expected it to be open this year but construction ran a bit long. It should be a really nice location when they finish up.

I'm sure we'll be back to defend our title.. the prize is certainly worth the time put in.

Mike said...

It's true, Dave. I thanked Mr. Garrett when I got home for teaching me in the ways of high speed canoe/cliff collision. Where would I be today without that vital skill?

I also told my canoe partner about the time I saved you from certain canoe death, I think he was impressed.

J said...

dude.

Mike said...

Audra,

I'll still be visiting the smokies (October 18-22), but I don't know what the plans are after (or about) that.

DON'T PRESSURE ME, I'LL CUT YOU.

Jon,

Dude.

scot said...

i've been meaning to ask, was the title of this post a nod to the national

do you have a wingspan unbelievable?