25 August 2006

weeeekend

Weekend plans:
Tonight
Drive up to Lafayette, IN, check into the Red Roof Inn, get five or so miles in on the bike, eat a decent meal.

Saturday
Wabash River Cycle Club Century Ride. The forcast calls for 30% chance of thunderstorms. It should be an adventure. That'll be my second 100 mile ride this summer. I probably deserve a new bike. Like this one. Or this one. Or this. In the meantime I've been looking at $400 bicycle wheels. I'd imagine I'll end up buying them, they're supposed to make neat swooshy noises.

After the ride Saturday I'm going to head back to Indy and attempt to check out the IndyFringe festival activities, and possibly An Adult Evening of Shel Silverstein. Then I'm gonna crash out.

Sunday
I'm going to catch up on all the English Football I've missed. Fulham isn't on Saturday, so I guess my plan to catch all the games was misguided. Then I might cut the grass. Maybe clean up the house. Maybe punch a baby.

Other Updates:
The Miata is on hold. I've test drove it, but I think the fact that I've wanted one since I was in Junior High led me to overhype it a bit. Not that it's a bad car; I still want one. If fun and feels dangerous. I'm just not so desperate to own one that I'm willing to increase my car payments. And it's nice to have a truck to haul bikes anyway. So I'll wait until I've paid down some things... I'm kind of excited about getting some long-time debts paid off. It feels very adult.

I've been looking at my remaining days off from work, and I think I can take another mini-vacation. Gina has no days off, so I'm probably going it alone (unless someone is willing to join me, and I'd be superglad to have company). Current considered options are Washington DC, Great Smoky Mountains National Park... anywhere I can drive in less that 16 hours, I think. Any suggestions? Maybe I should just get on a bike for 5 days.

6 comments:

Unknown said...

Local Restaraunt: Triple XXX! Have a SDuane G Purvis All American Burger! 1/4 pound with Sweet relish and creamy peanut butter (This is in reference to your question over at Dan on Bike, BTW)

Anonymous said...

I'll go.... Anything to get away from these nights. Actually, I've been to DC and my mom lives like 30 mins from Smokey Mountain National Park. Either would rock, but my vote would be the Smokies.

Anonymous said...

I'd love to go on a trip with you. The thing is, I've only got 3 days of vacation left and it looks like I'll be starting a new job on 9-11. The new job gives me 3 weeks of vacation and 6 sick days and 10 paid holidays right from the start...so that's nice. I felt dumb asking for two days off during the interview before I was offered the job.
I haven't been to D.C. since I was about 12. I'd like to go back because I think that I would appreciate it a lot more now. Thinking back, the Iwo Jima statue isn't as big in my mind as it is in person. Also, for a little info on that statue, go here...it makes you think about what you were doing at the ages of the guys in the Iwo Jima statue.

http://www.snopes.com/military/sixboys.asp

Anonymous said...

Yeah, so anyway. Maybe I can go on a vacation with you in 2007. Although if everything goes as planned, I'll be a Dad sometime in the summer of 2007.

Anonymous said...

One last thing, sorry. I do NEED to go the the baseball hall of fame at some point. But I don't know if anyone could handle me around that much baseball history for very long.
I've always planned on:
1. Drive to my uncle's house in VA outside of DC and stay the night for free.
2. Drive to Cooperstown and spend 2 or 3 full days at the HoF.
3. Drive back to my uncle's house and stay.
4. Drive home.

J said...

mike, I wish I could vacation with you in the smokey mountains or Wash DC. I ain't been to Wash DC ever, and done nuttin more than drive through the smokies. We could see the things for what dey were and then some..

Another nice place is the Chesapeake Bay area. Very nice. Wash with Chesapeake Bay would be cool.