22 June 2006

well now that that's over with...

Good riddance. Maybe I'm just bitter but I really feel like they never gave it a good effort. The effort that they made against Italy should have been there every game. It's the World Cup, we don't have any "star" players, and playing half-assed just isn't going to be good enough.

And I think Landon Donovan was a joke.

I hope to see Clint Dempsey playing in England soon, preferably in a Fulham shirt. I think he understood that THIS WAS THE FREAKING WORLD CUP. I think some of the other guys forgot that.

We were just half-assed. I hate it.

It should be interesting to see what happens next. Does Bruce get the ax? Isn't it ironic that they passed on a guy that was actually scoring goals (Twellman) for a guy that didn't play anyway, and then failed to score goals? Are our MLS guys a joke? What would Eddie Johnson have done if he got more that 45 minutes?

I'm proud of Steve Cherundolo, Carlos Bocanegra (I know, right?!?)... it's a short list. Bobby Convey was ok. Brian McBride did the best he could with no service. Claudio played well (except for one mishap).

Next time the team is going to look alot different, I think. It should be an interesting four years. I'm sure we'll continue to beat up on Mexico. I'm sure our expectation will be a lot lower from here on out.

And maybe that's for the best. At least it's realistic.

* * * * *

So now I'm rooting for the Dutch, because I like Ruud Van Nistelrooy and orange jerseys. And I'm sort of rooting for England, because no matter what happens (win or lose), it's high drama, and usually a bit funny.

2 comments:

Jim said...

Viva Espana. Can you tell that I'm a Liverpool fan? :)

Mike said...

yes. well, the dutch lost, and i think it's because they not only benched Ruud, but they failed to wear orange. it seems blatantly irresponsible now that i think about it.

did i ever tell you about the time i saw spain play germany in chicago? the woman sitting behind us had this giant spinning wooden noisemaker and kept yelling "ES-SPAN-YA" over and over agin.

in hindsight, i like her, but as i was a young and naive fan at that point, when she spun the wooden noisemaker around and hit herself in the head, i found it well deserved.