13 April 2006

sudden drastic measures

You might be wondering what just happened, so I'll quickly explain.

Today I opened up my email and found out that I'm at 95% of my traffic allowance for the month of April. I'm not sure how this happened; I've never been anywhere near my limit before, and we're only halfway through the month. I guess the MLS coverage is a traffic generator.

I looked over my options and decided that I just didn't want to have to pay any more in order to fuel what's pretty much a selfish pursuit, and moved the blog over to blogspot. I don't really think this is going to make much of a difference, but I'll just have to play it out.

If I end up hitting the limit for the month anyway, the site is going to dissapear until the month rolls over. There's not much I can do about that (short of paying for it).

In the meantime, it would be best if you could change your links or bookmarks to http://ridehorsey.blogspot.com, because then the ridehorsey.com domain won't get any traffic and we'll all live happily ever after.

Thanks.

Mike

4 comments:

torporindy said...

That sucks.

Will do.

Mike said...

thanks.

Anonymous said...

I recently got a similar email. A buddy of mine that's a web designer professionally said that sometimes a problem on the host's end can make it look like your bandwidth is being eaten up.

I had this problem only a few weeks after I started my blog so I knew I wasn't generating that many hits.

It might held to call your host and see if there's any explanation. Check the server status on your host's user control panel and it might tell you what's wrong too.

It's probably a mistake on your server's end.

Mike said...

I emailed tech support and they haven't gotten back to me yet, but I suspect that you may be right... I'm running a counter from a different webservice and it's not showing anything, and they haven't shut down my domain yet even though I'm (according to them) definitely over my limit now.

They haven't emailed back yet; maybe it's a systemwide problem and they're swamped.