22 January 2006

this one goes out to my favorite barista

four tet - she moves she


The "guitar guy" has become a pretty big cliche as of late. If you're a semi-regular listener of the Bob and Tom Show, you might recognize Mike Biriglia's "Guitar Guy at The Party" song (look for the Ipod looking thing in the left column). In any case, when a stand-up has made a joke about you, your time is probably up.

Gina and I have been known to make regular late night visits to a local Indianapolis south-side coffee establishment, usually on Friday and Saturday nights. On occasion, these trips are the only time we get out of the house all day, as was the case this evening.

Last night we had a little party, and afterwards we headed out to get coffee; a quick trip through the drive-through was enough for a late night caffeine fix. While in drive through we noticed the presence of a new coffee house stalwart, Guitar Girl.

It wasn't an issue last night, but it was this evening. I was hoping to waste some time in the coffee shop until I noticed her sitting there. I couldn't help but think: What gives her the right to ruin my coffee shop visit?

As a former guitarist, I can easily recall the sort of girls that were featured in Guitar World Magazine; they were usually used as a prop to sell guitars. Guitar Girl is not like those girls.

Guitar Girl strums an acoustic guitar, plays Jars of Clay songs, and leaves out a cup for tips from anyone who's grown so tired of the original vanilla music played in the coffee shop that they'd rather hear cover versions of the same vanilla music.

Does guitar girl ask to play? Do they actually ask her to play? Does she come in and say "I'm going to play a little, could you turn down the Nora Jones?"

If that's all it takes, I'm wondering if I can come in with a laptop and practice DJing. Or if I can get a buddy and a banjo and play duling banjos. To be honest, I'm not angry about it. But if I pretend to be, I can write like 10 paragraphs.

The track I've posted is by Four Tet from the album "Rounds", and it's a song I'd play if I was DJing at the coffee shop.

No comments: