18 January 2006

magic happens in the most unlikely places


I'm the sort of person who always falls for those new gimmicky candy bars. For example, you've may have had Hershey's Take 5, but have you had White Chocolate Take 5? Or how about Peanut Butter Special Edition Take 5? I've had them all. All it takes to get me to buy something is a new wrapper, pretty much. In fact, on a recent trip to the grocery store I looked over the candy section at the check-out counter and realized I had tried every type of candy available.

I'm wondering if that's normal.


One of the benefits of international travel are the food-like objects you'll find in foreign convenience stores. Although it's almost impossible to try everything in a two-week span, I usually give it my best shot.

As an example of my culinary quests, let me introduce Coolish to you. I discovered Coolish in a Japanese grocery store, and quickly grew addicted. I became so addicted that any meal that wasn't immediately followed by a Coolish desert was a disappointment (even meals that included that amazing Japanese treat, raw beef that looked like it was cooked before you put it in your mouth).

Coolish is much like a McDonald's milkshake in an aluminum bag, except if that McDonald's milkshake was the best thing you've ever eaten. When you purchase your Coolish, it's basically a brick of frozen solid ice cream. You squeeze the bag with all of your might, but the Coolish refuses to come out. The trick is to put the Coolish in the back pocket of your jeans. Let the warmth of your ass work its magic with the Coolish. Soon, the combined forces of the Coolish and you ass will provide you with a creamy treat that truly deserves your mouth's attention.

I think my friend Dave said it best: "Oh Coolish. How I miss you. It was nectar of the gods. Specially the peach... It was nectar of the really awesome gods."

No comments: