18 January 2006

even slayer had a song about jesus

loose fur - the ruling class
loose fur - thou shalt wilt

Loose Fur, A Jeff Tweedy (Wilco)/Jim O'Rourke (ex. Sonic Youth, Gastr del Sol)/Glenn Kotche (He's a drummer so no one really cares) side project, are back with a brand new edition, Born Again In The USA. Something about this record grabs ahold of me tightly. Alright, that was horrible.

I suppose the title is fitting, because there's at least two songs about religion on the album. The first track posted today, The Ruling Class, is Jeff Tweedy's take on the return of Christ, and features the lyrics "He's back, Jack, smokin' crack, find him if you wanna get found".

The second track here, Thou Shalt Wilt, is a run through of the ten commandments brought to you by Jim O'Rourke. It features (in regards to commandment seven) the lyrics "You can't be serious, you look so good in that wedding dress, I need time to assess, I don't want to acquiesce".

I should point out that this album isn't out yet, and it's also not listed on Amazon for pre-order, so I must really be in the loop.

* * * * *

As an aside, this past weekend I visited the Indianapolis Museum of Art, and had a thought about how much art is inspired by religion, and what it all means. As it turns out, I don't have any idea. There are some well-known examples, and some that are not so well known, although they are obviously deserving.

No comments: