02 August 2005

blues explosion!

the cardigans - do you believe
blind melon - car seat (god's presents)
bob dylan - bye & bye

The Cardigans track is here because it came up on shuffle on my ipod this morning and it sounded good. I like The Cardigan because Nina Person has a great voice and doesn't sound like anyone else. Something I've noticed from my musical wanderings is that alot of indie (or whatever) female singers sound the same. And by that I mean "not that good, really". Kind of like how there's 27 different rock stars running around now sounding exactly like Tool's singer.

I posted the Blind Melon track because I still think Blind Melon were great. This track kind of has two parts (the car seat part and the god's presents part). The car seat part was written by Shannon Hoon (who's dead and buried somewhere not too far from where I am right now) and the god's presents part was written by Shannon Hoon's grandmother when she was young. If I remember the story right, Shannon found the poem in her attic and decided to use it in the song. Shannon also had a ring of bugs tattoed around his neck because he was afraid of bugs and some voodoo lady told him that it would keep them away. I think that's a great reason to get a tattoo, and I wish it was my story.

I posted the Bob Dylan track because it reminds me of old people wearing seersucker suits, drinking tea and lounging in grand gardens. And I tried playing guitar along with this Dylan album (Love and Theft) once when I thought I'd pick the guitar back up, and I couldn't even figure out what planet it was coming from. It didn't work with any scale I ever learned. I'm horrible at guitar and should sell it and buy another bike. I'm ok at riding a bike.

Now taking requests.

No comments: