31 May 2005

union station

squarepusher - a journey to reedham

Back around the time I finished college and moved to Indianapolis I got out of touch with my friend Nate. It seems so odd to me now that this kind of thing could ever happen, but the same sort of thing happened with almost all my friends at some point. I can remember a year or two when I hardly ever talked to Dave, as well.

I guess what's weird about it is that the whole time they were right there, it was just that we stopped really paying attention to what each other was doing. I don't really want that to ever happen again, so I'm trying to keep everyone together as best I can. It's all sort of Lifetime movie.

Anyway, the song I've posted today is Squarepusher's "A Journey to Reedham", a song that Nate and I both enjoyed, but not like other songs we've both enjoyed. Usually we both like a song because either we have experience listening to it together, or because we shared it with each other. But in this case I think we both discovered the song seperately.

Somehow, after a decent amount of time apart, we struck up a conversation about the song at a bar one evening. If I recall correctly, this was around the time that Nate was having some personal issues, and listening to him explain why he liked the song seemed to explain everything. He talked about how the song starts out on a path, but all this chaos comes into play and tries to push it off track. In the end, the song ends up finishing on its original path.

I guess that sort of sums how my whole group of friends operates.

No comments: