23 May 2005

modernist

Hello. I've added a link to Jon's photo blog on the right. His pictures are not only interesting, but also quite pretty. Must be the camera. Look for it under "my isthmus"

iggy and the stooges - search and destroy

It takes a great amount of effort for me to get into old (for conversations sake, let's say pre-1990) music. Even in the case that a new band is strong influenced by an old band (even to the point that the new band may be ripping off the old band), I'll usually the prefer the newer band.

If you offer up the Joy Division/Interpol example (the first thing that came to mind, valid or not), I'll take Interpol's "Turn On The Bright Lights" over anything Joy Division did, short of "Love Will Tear Us Apart". To some people, this is almost blasphemy. Most people don't really give a shit.

Unfortunately, my opinions normally would fall in line more with the first camp of people. If you offer up Muse, for example, I'll hear Radiohead references and immediately dismiss anything Muse could possibly do. But in the case of older music, my strong opinions suddenly fade out.

I think there are a couple of reasons why this happens. I often feel that older music is missing the urgency found in a lot of newer music. In addition, the production of older albums often makes then sound almost distant or insincere to me. Even old punk records seem to be missing these two components.

I guess that's why I enjoy "Search And Destroy" so much. It's completely immediate, the pacing is perfect, and it absolutely refuses to be anything but loud. Even on a radio turned down, the song is just jumping out of the speakers.

To me this feels like too obvious a choice. But I'm putting it up anyway.

* * * * *

As I was writing this, I realized I have no idea who I'm really this for. Half the people that read this are probably going to have no idea who or what the hell I'm talking about.

Or maybe not. I don't even know if I make any sense today.

No comments: