14 November 2007

Back on the Wagon

After taking a good month or two off from all forms of exercise, I've started everything up again. Monday I took a wet ride to and from work on my underused bicycle - I'm at 107 rides for 2,747.05 miles at an average of 17.29 mph for the year. I'd like to get to at least 3000 miles on the year, under the logic that the amount you spend on your bicycle should equal roughly the amount of miles you ride it - 3000 miles justifies a $3000 bicycle.

I'm not buying a $3000 bicycle, of course, but I am looking at the 2008 Kona Sutra ($1199), the Trek 520 ($1239), and the Surly Long Haul Trucker ($?) as possible bikes for commuting and the bike ride across America that I've been kicking around in my head forever - but that'll require a 3 month work hiatus to do right.

I also ran a couple miles last night - I was on a plan to work my way to regular 5k running (3+ miles) before I starting making excuses not to exercise. Luckily I was able to push through and complete the two mile run without any walking, which puts me right back where I left off. That was quite a surprise.

So hopefully I'll continue with this plan, alternating running and bike commuting days, and I'll fight off the extra 10 I've gained, plus some. I've found that attempting to consistently eat well just doesn't hold up for me - I don't have the willpower lately - so exercise is the answer. Exercise is always the answer though.

Yeah...

No comments: