21 September 2007

Franeytown + 1

This weekend I'll be headed back to the wonderful and charming Trenton, Illinois area for what is sure to be the second wedding event of the summer, when James and Sarah get married and another Franey is added to the mix. Too many Franeys is never a bad thing - it helps with the Franeytown tax base - soon we will be able to afford my official city Chevy Lumina (the one with the golden hawk riding atop a flaming bear (not a homosexual joke) or whatever).

Then late Saturday evening Gina and I will head back to Indy, because Sunday we're going to a'brewin' (one word) and I've gotta work that around Chelsea/Man U @ 11 AM. Yar.

Went to Brugge last night. Hmm. Nothin' doin' here.

Also, did you know that I run every other day now? It's true. I haven't said much about it because I wasn't sure I'd stick with it, but I'm starting to learn to enjoy it so I think it's safe to mention. I'm on this training program. I'm due to start week 5 today. That may get delayed a bit.

I've got proper fitted shoes and everything. The folks at Gray Goat must love my consistent outpouring of dollars. Hi Jason. I know a lot of Jasons.

I'm using the Nike+ thing (which we've rigged to work with my Asics shoes) and almost every time I get an encouraging post-workout message from someone truly inspirational, such as Lance Armstrong, who says stuff like "way to go you just completed your longest workout yet". Sometimes it's a gal, but I'm not sure who she is because I missed her saying her name. That's not very inspirational at all. Nike + is kinda cool though, because it logs how far I've gone and pace and all of that, and I don't have to bother typing things out like I do when I log bike miles on bikejournal.com (99 rides this year, 2,610.25 miles, 17.29 mph avg).

I'm a bit embarrassed that my mileage and speeds are that low.

So yeah. I'm riding to work as much as my sleep schedule will let me (23 miles round trip), running, and eating a ton of crap and not losing any weight whatsoever (185 seems to be where I'm stuck.)

Wow this was rambling. I'm gonna hire a trainer after the year rolls over, I think. That's expensive. Anyway. I've got what I'd call a "fat jacket" on my torso that I'm trying to destroy. I wonder if I'm sorta getting too old and I'm supposed to have a fat jacket. F you, fat jacket.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

YEA! Something I can actually comment on. (if you posted more pics of soccer boys, I'd comment on their costumes) So I'll make the most of it.

You rock that run. Go Mike Go! And though you won't get as far as a bike will take you, the more you run, the weight should start coming off.

Being stuck at a weight sucks. I'm stuck at 175. And I have the fat roll, not quite the fat jacket. I look like I have birthin' hips.

And, um, 2000+ biking miles is a low milage compared to what? A car? Get over yourself. Felt like you were fishing on that one.

No, Mike! Those are great numbers! Yea for you!

Seriously, though. Keep on running. And hire that trainer. You can get the best deal at the YMCA. Mine was $35/hr. And, hey, I she's my best friend now. Only cost me about $1000. If I were you, though, I'd go for a male trainer. Less of a threat to Gina if you become best buds. But who am I to say. Maybe looking at a nice set of jugs while doing a bench press will be inspiration.

comments complete.

Mike said...

2000 miles is low to the folks I ride with - I know it's ridiculous but it's not fishing by any means. I know I was a lot higher on miles last year.

I can't imagine having a female trainer. That's all I have to say about that.

Anonymous said...

dude, stop copying my life. i too started running again, and i think i stole my training program from cool running as well (runrevolt is my username on that site), but i went all out for the 10k program. i hope you have less muscle problems during your running than i'm having right now.

-spitz

Mike said...

spitz - i was having all sorts of knee tenderness problems until i got the right shoes - i went to gray goat and he looked at my pronation (or whatever - how i walk) and then had me try like 6 different shoes and the problems went away in like 3 days.

i guess it's like a bike in that you gotta get the fit right. anyway..

Anonymous said...

i went to the running company and did the whole pronation check as well...the shoes seem to work great. my problem is not in my knees though...it's around my thigh muscles, which makes me think they need to be strengthened or something. i should just find an EPO dealer.
-spitz