13 August 2007

Premiership Weekend 1

Fulham: Gifted a goal on a horrible Jens Lehman clear, Fulham held a 1-0 lead over Arsenal until the 80th or so minute, when Carlos Bocanegra stepped in the way of a streaking Toure in the penalty box - and Arsenal were awarded a penalty kick. Robbie Van Persie, he of my fantasy EPL team, scored the PK to tie the match 1-1. Then Arsenal got down to business, and put Fulham away in the 90-somethingth minute on a goal by Andy Hleb, who has tortured new right back Chris Baird all day.

There were positive notes for Fulham, who actually showed signs of attacking football throughout the match - with a particularly strong effort by Simon Davies. #10 shirt Stephen Davis won the commentator's approval, though he didn't do much to impress me. Clint Dempsey came on late and had a few chances, playing his usual passively creative sort of roll. Brian McBride didn't accomplish much, to be honest.

Arsenal sure like to pass alot.

I also caught the Sunderland/Tottenham match - entertaining despite the 1-0 score, Liverpool - Aston Villa - new Liverpool signing Fernando Torres is going to fit in nicely, and is strong on the ball, and portions of Man U/Reading - which I fell asleep watching. Shame about Rooney. That's my guy.

My fantasy team, The Middlesbros, now sit 10th in league with 45 points. The leader has 58.

* * * * *

You'll notice the banner for St. Louis Soccer United - my new MLS team. When the arrive. The banner is also a link to their website, which has all sorts of tasty info, like stadium plans and so forth.

United are actually going to play in real life Franeytown, Collinsville, IL - home of Mr. Franey and the powerhouse Kahoks soccer team (state champs in 91 and 92, runners up in 96) that always beat my Wesclin Warriors team (the one I actually played on) in high school regionals. We scored on them though. TODD HAAS, BITCHES.

2 comments:

Jason said...

An MLS team in your old stompin' grounds...I see more trips home in Mike's future.

Don't tell me you are giving up on Real Salt Lake? Not after they've gone on a 1 game winning streak?

Mike said...

I have not given up on anyone... I just choose not to put to much emotion into it.

And I got former GM approval to let go of RSL - the guys he brought in are all gone now. I think he's actually rooting for Toronto now, so why should I be stuck with RSL?

I'd buy season tickets for a St. Louis MLS team, because I could always give them to someone else if I couldn't go.