14 June 2007

these people are crazy

Sometime Saturday the first of this year's Race Across America participants should roll through the south side of Indianapolis. RAAM, "The World's Toughest Bike Race", feature competitors either doing the race solo, in teams of two, or teams of four. They are given 12 days to cross the country, which averages out to about 250 miles per day.

This race is of particular interest to me because the route uses quite a few roads that I use regularly, and also goes directly behind my subdivision, onto what is possibly the worst road in the whole city, South Tibbs Avenue. I wish I could be in town to sit roadside and cheer the competitors on, but I'll be in Cincinnati instead. But I might paint something on the road, anyway.

RAAM is something I think I might like to do someday; probably not by myself, but perhaps in a four person relay. The folks who do the route solo average like 4 hours of sleep per day, and are known to fall asleep on the bike... not exactly my idea of a good time. My longest one-day ride is currently RAIN, which is 160 miles... I can't quite imagine doing 250 for 12 straight days. But you never know...

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Two years ago I got to volunteer at the RAAM finish line in Atlantic City. It was crazy to be taking phone calls from support crews on the last state stretch to the line and documenting where the rest of the teams were spread across the country. It was pretty hectic. Even weirder was the lack of hoopla at the finish line. Despite the physical prowess it takes to complete this amazing race, it's pretty unheard of outside of bike culture. So at the finish line there were about 50 people, mainly volunteers and passersby who were more confused than impressed at the challenge. Eh, I got a free hat and bag or something out of it.

-spitz

J said...

cool race...cool website about the race... you should get a team together or join a motley team and do it someday, Mike.