22 February 2007

Somewhere around day 5 of my trip out to Yellowstone, my beloved Canon Powershot 2.0 megapixel digital camera decided to go to the giant electronics store in the sky, or something. It turns on, but the screen just shows different shades of the color black. That would be fine if I were a photographer for Sunn 0))), but I'm not. I actually like my photographs to somewhat resemble the place I took the picture.

Yellowstone was quite some time ago, and I've been without a camera since. This has only slightly upset normality - I no longer take daily photos of my muscles*. But I'm going back to Vegas next month, and it's probably time to buy a new camera.

I figure I've got three options. The first would be to buy the cheapest thing I can find, and see how long it takes to break it. The second would to be to buy another Canon Powershot - I really did enjoy the last camera up until the day it decided to quit. And I could get a much better camera (6mp vs. 2mp) for less than I paid for my first Canon (well actually... mom paid for it. WAIT! I'm owed a birthday present! Well, not really owed, but.. yeah). The third would be to buy one of those really expensive SLR cameras, but that would take money out of my bike budget.

There's a fourth option: I can weild the power of the internet and ask if anyone can recommend a cheap digital camera. So can you?

* * * * *

*"muscles"

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Hello fellow bloggers, here is an excerpt from an article I found to be quite interesting:

In January 2007 Olympus released a new model, the SP-55OUZ, which seems to be the prodigy of this line, being a lot more performing than the previous model, the SP-51OUZ. The main characteristics of this camera are the image stabilization, 7MP resolution, and the 18x optical zoom range. The Zoom market became quite competitive and the model in discussion competes with other high quality models, such as Sony H5 or Panasonic FZ8.

This new Olympus camera is supported with Olympus Master software and AA batteries, has internal memory and xD picture card slot, over 20 scene modes, 25 language options, RAW and exposure modes, super macro mode, and 7.1 Megapixels. The SP-55OUZ model is not a small camera so some may not prefer it because of this, but taking into consideration its qualities, the size is not at all an inconvenient. It is similar in many ways to the Canon EOS 1Ds digital camera

Another great digital camera is the new FinePix S4700 from Fujifilm. This model is the optimized version of the FinePix S4600 model, which was voted last year as the European Zoom camera of 2006 by the most important European association of electronics consumers. The new model is compact and lightweight, has 10x optical zoom lens, Fujifilm Intelligent Flash system, having several scene selections. Its menu system is highly improved and it is ideal to carry with you anywhere, since it can be easily operated with one hand.

The most significant changes FinePix S4700 has over its predecessor are the ergonomic design, reduced proportions, improved ISO sensitivity up to 1600, new flash modes and a 7.1 Megapixel CCD sensor.

Sony Cyber-shot DSC-g1 is another great digital camera recently released on the electronics market. The G1 model, in particular, is Sony's first wireless digital camera, which has 2.0GB of internal memory, 6 megapixel and a 3.5 inch LCD with a 921,000 pixels resolution screen – similar stats to the Canon PowerShot S50. This model has the ability of sending photos wireless to other digital enabled devices such as laptops, palms, PCs or cameras. Reviewers say that Sony G1 model is the perfect take away digital camera, since its internal memory is pretty generous.

Hope you found this to be a good read,

Michael