01 August 2006

na na na na na na na na badlands (sung to the theme song from "batman")

hacksaw jim franeyAs we continued our trip across South Dakota on I-90 we took a slight detour through Badlands National Park. Here's a little info about the park from the National Park Service website:
Located in southwestern South Dakota, Badlands National Park consists of 244,000 acres of sharply eroded buttes, pinnacles and spires blended with the largest, protected mixed grass prairie in the United States.
You might think that people are drawn to the park because of its sharply eroded buttes, but I think that's only half the story. On the day we visited that park was filled with Russian people. I would venture to say that it was perhaps the largest gathering of Russians ever on United States soil. I suspected that they were up to something out there, so I went on a short hike to investigate.

Unfortunately, all I could turn up was a deer. You can imagine my dismay. Fortunately enough, I was able to divert my frustration with the murder of several Commies.

In any case, Badlands was well worth the visit. There are plenty of caverns to hide bodies in and you can easily blame any "accidental" deaths on gravel slips or unsafe climbing. Especially when all the witnesses only speak Russian.

2 comments:

J said...

damned russian badland spies. They have been there for years, sending uninvaluable information to the Kremlin. I've heard the Kremlin is about to pull the plug, stating that they "up to here" over mission reports that, in fanatical detail, outline the most used antelope trails, and the best places to "make water" unseen. (Almost everywhere) So, Mike, worry not, those Ruskies will probably disappear, due to what known as the "Wolverine" agency in Moscow, the agency which defeats splinter spy groups despite overwhelming odds.

Mike said...

I love those Wolverines. It's not unusual for me to yell out their name when faced with impossible odds.

In case anyone missed it, that's Hacksaw Jim Dugan's head (and two by four) on Mr. Franey in the first photo.