14 August 2006

easy e visits the trenton looking glass sportsmans club

Some folks never seem to leave high school, a fact that became painfully obvious within the first couple of hours of Gina's class reunion. It was a night complete with drunken dance/grinding, kids trying to impress each other by blaring horrible music, behind the back hookup attempts, and smarmy assholes* watching from the sidelines and running commentary. My 10 year reunion seemed to go so much nicer, but perhaps that's just revisionist history.

I received more than one comment about my pink shirt, including "A pink shirt? You know you're in Clinton County, right?"

To which I responded "Yes, but I've been out of the county."

Earlier Saturday morning I had biked the worst 60 miles of my life, during which I ran out of water, drank too much water, and considered pedaling into traffic more than once. Well, not really, but it didn't go well. I've got a century ride (100 miles) coming up in two weeks and I'm afraid I'm nowhere near ready. Ah, but there's an amazing power in perseverance! We'll see how it goes.

I guess Frank Black was in Indy Sunday night, and I should have went. I saw Frank something like 6 years ago at the Duck Room in St. Louis, and it still ranks as a very memorable experience. Not because he did anything fantastic; the band was just tight and I'm a fan of Frank's solo work anyway. Another missed opportunity, I suppose, but I was tired anyway. Did anyone go? How about you, Dave Huffman of Trenton Illinois? Your house is large enough to present a Frank Black concert. Congratulations on your high ceilings*.

Let's open the floor to conversations about class reunions. How did yours go?

* * * * *

*this would be my role.

*smarmy asshole part II.

6 comments:

scot said...

I just got an email talking about my class reunion, which I fortunately will not be able to attend...

This, however,

To which I responded "Yes, but I've been out of the county."

absolutely cracked me up.

Mike said...

I thought it was a pretty good comment, but what I enjoyed most about it is that it didn't require any thinking on my part. It just sort of came jumping out of my mouth.

Are you prepared for the pain of another Crew loss tomorrow?

Anonymous said...

Was there talk of Ford Mustangs at the reunion? Were there people in expensive old looking clothes?

I told Gina I wasn't upset about not going because I thought there would be a high concentration of douche there.

How long does it take to ride 100 miles?

Mike said...

No one spoke of Ford Mustangs, but there was an overabundance of sandals. I was shooting for overdressed and outclassed everyone. I'm was a prince among peasants. And Jim.

All said and told, it was surely more entertaining than anything else I could have spent the night doing. It just went on a bit longer than I would have preferred.

It takes around five hours to ride 100 miles. Some folks shoot for a sub-four hour century, but that's really cookin'...

It should take between 5 and 6 hours, and that's with the stops added in.

Mike said...

Is Farley a holy ghost? I don't know what that means exactly in the world of all things Mater Dei, but does it have anything to do with the ability to drunkenly urinate on hotel floors?

scot said...

Are you prepared for the pain of another Crew loss tomorrow?

I'll be excited if the boys even get a shot on goal at this rate. I will need to tape it as I have previous arrangements. Thank God.