19 July 2006

advanced warning

As I may have mentioned before, I'll be leaving for South Dakota/Wyoming/Yellowstone/Idaho?/Whatever else is up there this Friday. My vacation group consists of myself, two fellas I went to high school with, and a Mater Dei power blue bitch (if anyone at the Mater Dei page notices any hits from this website, I want you to know that I think you're all bitches. Even my cousin's husband and my former soccer coach). We've rented a Ford Explorer, and I'll be damn if we're not going to use it to explore.

Anyway, apart from taking digs at Mater Dei (Home of "The Power Blue Bitches"* (thanks John)), I wanted to ask if any of my 3 readers had any experience with any of the places I spoke of in the previous paragraph and/or if they had any advice. So do you? If so, let me know. I've got a guide book, but guide books only get you so far.

*If you ever meet a Mater Dei grad, ask them how many Illinois Basketball State Championship trophies their school has. Also, GOOSE, bitches.

6 comments:

J said...

Hi mike..Actually, I did that same journay once, minus Idaho. I went with Dwaine after graduating high school. It is a long drive... I guess what stands out in my mind is Badlands National Park (crazy, crazy place) and the emptiness of Wyoming. Wyoming was sweet... Just stop the car and listen to the nothingness, and watch the antelope in the distance. The hop mad.

Yellowstone was absolutely stunning, as was Grand Tetons National Park under it.

Oh, also Wall, South Dakota was an odd town to stop at just because it is sooooooooo touristy and semi-famous (to itself). Wall's marketing strategy is to be self-indulgent and full of itself to the point that many people want to come and see this asshole town.

I gotta go to work, if I think of more, I write again. cheers

Mike said...

So are you suggesting we stay away from Wall, SD? To be honest, stopping in at Wall Drug is not something I want to bother with. We'll see how it goes.

We are visiting Badlands, so I'm glad you can confirm it's worth checking out.

Anonymous said...

you just can't let it go can you. 16 years ago man, 16 years. You're going to be that old guy, aren't you? That's not cool.

scot said...

Sounds like an incredible trip, Mike. I am jealous as hell. Bring back pictures.

I've drove through Wyoming and did the stop pulled over a few times as jonathon mentioned. i actually wish i was doing so right now.

have a great trip.

Mike said...

Yeah, but you were 15, Dave. Everyone hates everything that's not breasts or on fire at that point in their lives.

Rushmore isn't exactly out of the way, anyway. Maybe like an hour. It's South Dakota, what else are you going to do?

miyuki said...

Take many pictures and put on your blog. I'm looking forward to seeing them.

Have a great trip!
Take care.