29 June 2006

real salt lake at chicago fire

John and I began our trip to Chicago at 12:30 PM Eastern yesterday for reasons I can't quite explain; The game wasn't due to start until 9 PM ET, and it's only a 3-4 hour drive up to Bridgeview. Of course we hit the always present I-80/I-94 traffic and that slowed up down, but not nearly enough to make leaving eight and a half hours early make sense.

Steve Pastorino had told me that he would be spending the afternoon at the Chicago Cubs game and to expect him at Bridgeview Stadium/Toyota Park at 6 PM. My tickets would be available at Will Call.

After taking a full tour of Harlem Avenue we made our way back to the stadium and to the will call window, where the lovely clerk told me that she had no tickets for me, and to check back a half hour before game time. We killed a little time in conversation with a very cordial gentleman who worked in marketing for the Fire, and then after a little while checked the window again (no tickets). I then gave Steve a call and he explained that he'd be right out with our tickets.

We quickly met Steve, and he explained that he'd meet back up with us later. Toyota Park is a very nice and well thought out stadium (with a much more substantial and permanent feeling building than Columbus' Crew Stadium*) that reminded me of Indianapolis' Victory Field (it was probably the use brick). The public address system is a little loud. The video screen at the south end of the stadium is fantastic, the field looked perfect, but there is a need for a timeclock on the west side of the stadium.

As it turns out, we were sitting with Steve and his family, and we were introduced to former US National Team and 1994 World Cup veteran Frank Klopas*, who was sitting in the row in front of us. As the game began I asked Steve where Eddie Pope was and was given an interesting explanation on the ongoing status of Eddie. The game settled in with Steve and Frank having conversations about various players on the pitch. Mr. Klopas is very passionate about the game and the way it should be played, and was very insightful and talkative about what he thought should be happening on the field. It was fantastic to watch the game with the insight of a former player, and it was easy to see that he really wanted to share his knowledge with John and myself.

Steve and I also had a few conversation on everything from the way they get the stripes in the field to the status of the new stadium in Salt Lake. Although he's the GM, watching the game I couldn't shake the feeling that he was just a fan like everyone else. During a rain delay he explained his relationship with John Ellinger, his feelings about living in Salt Lake, and talked a little bit about his time with the Fire. He was quick to point out people he had worked with before, and almost everyone on the Fire staff seemed to stop by and say hello. It all felt very much any other small people-friendly business, or even perhaps a small family.

In the end (and after the rain delay), RSL blew a goal lead and ended up losing 2-1. Steve seemed as distraught as I was, but to be honest the Chicago comeback came as no surprise; RSL had played horribly all night, and Frank had been saying all game that he couldn't imagine Chicago losing the game just because of the disjointed play of RSL.

After the game we said our goodbyes and thanked everyone. It was a very rewarding experience that I'd definitely love to do again. Steve also offered to set me up with tickets in Columbus when RSL visits there (though he won't be attending). It's another wednesday game, though, and after getting back at 4:45 AM this morning, I'll have to think it through.


* * * * *


*A Chicago Fire official has the following to say about Crew Stadium: "It's a nice building for Columbus."

*I'll admit I had no idea who Frank Klopas was, except that he was a member of the Chicago Fire "Ring of Fire" . But that was explained to us when we were introduced. How is it possible that I don't remember members of the 1994 US World Cup squad? I'll blame it on the 12 years that have passed.

2 comments:

Jim said...

Frankie Klopas also scored Chicago's game-winning goal over Columbus in the 1998 U.S. Open Cup final. I was at that game, and it was one of the best soccer games I've seen in person (yes, even better than U.S. National Team games).

Mike said...

Frank was a very nice guy who might have been applying for a job that night, and now has me convinced that he'd make a fine coach.

unfortunately i'm not a gm.