01 April 2006

this is the year

I have a confession to make. Although I'm a big fan of the English Premier League, the US Mens National Team, and a former World Cup attendee, I've never been a fan of Major League Soccer.

But as the Premiership winds down, I'm going to give MLS another shot. It seems as though the level of talent is getting better (an opinion I base entirely on the performance of Taylor Twellman in international play), and I'm starting to feel like maybe it's my duty as an American soccer fan to give my own league a shot.

So here I go again. It's not that I haven't watched MLS games before, it's just that I've never really cared. Given the ridiculous team names, the slow pace, the feeling that I was good enough to play in the league (reality isn't really my strong suit) and not having anyone to root for, it never caught on with me. That all changes today, when I'll watch at least one MLS game, and maybe even both.

There's just one problem... who am I rooting for? Who should I root for? Columbus, who are the former team of Brian McBride, a guy I've been watching since he played his college ball as a St. Louis University Billiken? Chicago, who wear red jerseys? Houston, who are new to the league (or are they just that relocated San Jose team?), like myself?

The Premiership was easy for me. Fulham had two Americans (and one of them was McBride), never really won anything (so I'm not jumping a bandwagon), and can't win a road game (the lovable underdog angle). Man U played more entertaining soccer than anyone else. Arsenal and Liverpool always held my attention. I ended up being a fan of Fulham over anyone else, and enjoying the rest of the teams equally (though I pull for Man U a bit). It all worked out perfectly because Fox Soccer Channel never shows anyone consistantly, and there isn't anyone to call me out on liking everyone ("I like the Rams, and the Colts, and the Patriots, and the Packers, and sometimes the Vikings." That doesn't really work, does it?)

This would all be a whole lot easier if St. Louis had a team. Maybe the Steamers can make the jump and make this whole thing easier on me. But until they do, I guess I'm a free agent.

Remember when Kansas City's team was called "The Wiz"? Maybe that's a good enough reason to root for them. Do you think they'd consider changing the name back if I sent an email and promised to become a fan? I'm going to send them an email and find out. I'll report back when they respond.

In the meantime, what should I be looking out for? Why should I care? Who's good?

2 comments:

Mike said...

as a follow-up, here's the email I just sent off...

Hello,

I've been a fan of soccer my whole life, an avid follower of the US Men's National Team, and a supporter of Fulham FC of the English Premier League.

The one thing I have never been is a fan of Major League Soccer. But I'm hoping to change that, and hopefully you can get me started on the road to what is sure to become years of support.

After giving it some consideration, I've decided that the primary reason that I don't follow MLS is that I don't have anyone to root for. I grew up outside of St. Louis and then later moved to Indianapolis, so I don't really have any regional ties to any particular team. I'd like to root for someone, but at this point I don't have any real reason to pick any one team.

What I'm hoping is that you can give me a reason to root for your team. I've sent this email to every team in the league, to any email address I could find (except for Red Bull New York, who don't seem to have email). In some cases I've started at the top of the organization, and in others I've started at what is probably the bottom. But I'm hoping for the same enthusiastic and convincing reply regardless of who receives the email.

So convince me. Make me a fan. It's in your hands now. Why should I root for your team?

Thanks, and I look forward to hearing from you.

Mike Atwood


ps. In the interest in full disclosure, I'll probably post what I receive on my blog (www.ridehorsey.com) unless you ask me not to. Thanks again.

scot said...

mike,
jim over at 11 am air raid is a big fire fan as you probably know, and i had Columbus Crew season tickets for years before my job interfered, so there are a few of us here in Indy who definitely get into it.

Personally, I obviously hope you pick the Crew, I can give you 100 reasons why this would be the right choice, but I am curious to see what you get back from various front offices.