06 April 2006

I get the feeling...

In the post below , Kansas City Wizards' GM Curt Johnson responded to my second email.

I get the feeling that Mr. Johnson is a very serious fellow. Especially when he wrote:
"We want you if you can make a positive contribution."
I went ahead and wrote Mr. Johnson back:
Mr. Johnson,

I want to thank you for taking the time to respond to my email. I'm sure you have a very busy schedule.

To be honest, I wasn't aware that MLS had the same sort of issues with budget and media attention that teams in other leagues have. I also wasn't aware that certain MLS teams are more well known for posturing in the media. Thank you for that information; it's good to know the dynamics of the league.

I can certainly appreciate your desire to put a team on the field that is known for its hard work and desire to win. I think those of the sort of values anyone can appreciate.

I'll be sure to catch your game against Dallas this weekend, and I wish your team well.

Thank You,

Mike
There was only one problem with that email... Real Salt Lake is playing Dallas. Kansas City is play Houston. And so:
Mr. Johnson,

I certainly don't want to become a nuisance, but I want to apologize for the mistake in my last email; I've just realized that you're actually playing Houston this weekend. I'd hate for you to think that I wasn't paying attention.

Thank you,

Mike
(I actually spelled apologize incorrectly ("apologise") in the email. I'm on fire today.)

Basically, Curt Johnson makes me feel like I should be accountable for mistakes. I like what he has to say. His email seemed to say "you could root for us, but whatever you do, don't be an idiot about it."

Which probably also means "Stop sending me email, there's a reason my address wasn't posted on our website."

I've got to wonder about this comment:
If your desire is to gravitate to a team that is the favorite with lots of posturing in the media and on the field and the most t.v. appearances on ESPN/ABC, we are not your team.
After all, didn't they just acquire the new posterboy for that sort of behavior?

Or maybe this didn't happen:



Real Salt Lake and Kansas City play at the same time this Saturday, but I'm going to write match notes for both games thanks to the amazing power of Tivo. I realize my match notes aren't very informative, but that should be up Saturday or Sunday.

Until then...

2 comments:

Jim said...

"We want you if you can make a positive contribution."

What the hell is that?

Mike said...

Maybe he's a former Marine?

Does the league have a problem with hooliganism?

I don't really know what he was getting at there. He was probably annoyed that I was bothering him to begin with.

It crossed my mind that the other GMs might be a little upset at Steve Pastorino because he sort of started this.

I hope that's not the case.