20 February 2006

what's he saying?

Gina and I will be using up all our adventure for the week (well, short of my attempts to get FC Tulsa promoted to the English Premier League on Winning Eleven 9*) when we attend the Sigur Ros concert (third row seats, by the way) at the Murat this evening.

Sigur Ros might be best known for singing in a made-up language, or maybe for putting dancing Downs' kids in their videos, or for having two little boys kiss, or for having old people run around and jump in puddles... they do pretty fantastic and memorable videos. But they are also one of the few examples of what can happen when file sharing goes right. They got their launch when opening for Radiohead in Europe, which generated a bit of buzz. But their album wasn't released in America at the time, so the only way to get ahold of it was to use Napster (remember when people used Napster?). The band was pleasantly surprised when they toured American the first time; the album still wasn't released here but they were able to sell out shows.

It's a rare occurrence when a band that I like actually plays Indy (this would probably be because I'm supercritical and maybe even a bit snobby about music (I'm trying to get better, though)), and although I'm not really that familiar with Sigur Ros' new album, I feel like the show should be very enjoyable. After all, you can go to see the symphony without knowing the music beforehand, and Sigur Ros is as close as you're going to get to that experience when watching a live band.

* * * * *

*John Terry's hair looks fantastically stupid on the box cover for Winning Eleven. It makes me happy because I hate about half of Chelsea's players.

No comments: