24 February 2006

rock over japan

happy end - 1
happy end - 2
happy end - 3
happy end - 4

One of the beautiful things about downloading (ok, stealing) music online is that sometimes you have no idea what you're getting. Such is the case with the four Happy End songs I've posted today.

Happy End is a Japanese group, and they appeared on the Lost In Translation soundtrack. And that is the extent of my Happy End knowledge. But I did manage to find some of their stuff online, and I've discovered they like to switch it up alot.

So enjoy this Japanese version of country music (track 1 - I have no idea what the original title is). Track 2 answers the question "What if John Denver were Japanese?". Track 3? It's beautiful. And track 4 rounds the set out nicely.

I've already written more about this than I wanted to.

* * * * *

Was there a Sigur Ros review in the Star? I can't seem to find it online. Maybe someone saw it and can point me in the right direction.

* * * * *

This weather is driving me nuts. Either it's warm enough to ride a bike, or it's not, but it's never the same thing two days in a row. And that makes it very tough to decide if I should get out my spandex pants.

* * * * *

Is anyone playing soccer in town? Where?

And does your team need a horrible player to make everyone else look better?

I promise to leave the spandex pants at home.

4 comments:

torporindy said...

here is the review

Mike said...

thanks.

torporindy said...

I forgot to mention the other day that I love the song included on the Lost in Translation soundrack even though I have no idea what they're saying

J said...

hey mike atwoody heres a couple japanese bands to look into:

LOVE PSYCHEDELICO(psycho-70s/80s synth garage rock)

PETTY BOOKA(ukelele playing sweethearts)

ELLEGARDEN (they are a punk pop band that I like for some reason & sing mostly in English)

SUNNY DAY SERVICE(the 1st japanese band I liked ever-I sing them in Karaoke every time)

COOL DRIVE MAKERS(I saw them in concert in Hiroshima & it was way....neat)

SUSUMU YOKOTA(makes electronic music...some of it is mind bending...some is house-y)

NOBUKAZU TAKEMURA(another electronic artist. he can take you to rainbow valleys of fuzz)

TOWA TEI(actually a japanese of korean descent...hes very wacky and well respected in the music circles here)

MIYAZAWA KAZUFUMI(you'll dig it I think. he's been round the block, used to be in some big band in the 80s here...can't remember the name of the band though...now he makes very eclectic island-esque music with various hip producers)

BUFFALO DAUGHTER(guitar, keyboards, drum machine, nutty jams, peanut butter...I dig it)

So, that is my 1st installment of some music I fancy here. If you want to know more, let me know that you want to know.

I hope you at least look em up... Maybe you've heard of some of em?

Jon