26 September 2005

oldplay

doves - 45
doves - there goes the fear

Don't get me wrong. I like Coldplay enough. But sometimes when I'm not feeling like a 45 year old woman, I like my Britrock with a bit more attitude, and that's where Doves step in.

Doves are great because they answer the question "who fits in between Bends/Ok Computer era Radiohead and current day Coldplay?", and they do it with just a little bit of old r&b flavor (I said "just a little bit").

The first track is 45, a b-side from the Black and White Town single, I think. It starts off with this sort of sinister feel in the vocals (I don't have any idea what the lyrics are; They might be about puppies) but then this sort of swooping Edge-like guitar line comes in and saves the whole thing before it starts to remind me a little too much of a Rush song.

The second track is There Goes The Fear from the album The Last Broadcast. It's a song that builds and builds and I really can't even convey how completely great it is. And it ends so fantastically perfect. I really enjoy it when a song is so good that I can't explain it in words.

Enjoy.

No comments: