15 June 2005

I won't rest until I break it

xiu xiu - i luv the valley oh

I suppose that when I started this blog, I pictured two distinct groups of people using it. The first group, my real-life-we-go-way-back friends, who either don't enjoy the music I listen to, or perhaps don't even know how to download or use the music I'm providing. This group of people would be Jim, Brent, Dave Y, Mark, possibly Dave H... But not Nate, Jon, or Jason, because I think they might enjoy the music.

The second group would be the folks I know from online, who I've probably met through the Radiohead messageboard. They also may or may not like the music, but it's more likely that this is up their alley.

I really started the blog to share with Nate, but he's not online.

In any case, I originally thought I was writing for the first group of people. The more I look at it, I'm probably writing more for the second group of people (+ nate and jon).

Chances are I'm really just writing at (but not really for) Dave H and Gina.

So. If anyone wants to leave a comment in any entry, I'll try to dedicate a post to something I think he or she might like. This is actually a lot more difficult to do than you might think. Music is such a personal thing that no matter how great I think a song is (and I could think it's the great thing ever), there's a good chance that it's all wrong. I might really feel like a song has to be perfect for someone, but usually that leads to almost a feeling of rejection if the person doesn't like it. Perhaps I take things to personally, or maybe you know what I'm talking about. That's why I always try to give other peoples' suggestions a fair shake.

With all that in mind, today I'm posting a song by Xiu Xiu that I fully expect only I might enjoy. Well, I know Nate likes it and that his wife doesn't. That's fair enough, because Xiu Xiu is really dumb. But it's an interesting sort of dumb, and that's why I can find enjoyment in it.

1 comment:

barbara h & fuck buddies said...

funny i spent two years thinking nobody could like xiu xiu songs but me and when i showed up at their show and it was packed i was slightly disappointed