07 June 2005

even the son of god had to die, my darlin'

pj harvey and john parish - taut

Today's entry is a song from a one-off PJ Harvey album that she did with John Parish, who played on her album "To Bring You My Love". The album, "Dance Hall at Louse Point", is music by John Parish for an unrealised theatrical production, with lyrics by PJ.

I was lucky enough to catch PJ on what appears to be her last tour (she's apparently grown unhappy with her work), and was quite surprised that the band performed this song... although I fell in love with it because of a live performance on PBS' "Sessions From West 54th", I didn't really think it was one the band still be playing.

This song has it all, including creepy screeching, fits of passion, and references to Christ. Basically all the cornerstones of a great PJ Harvey song. Because of blatant use of these factors, this remains my favorite PJ song, and it probably sits high in my list of favorite songs ever.

I wanted to post a nice summery song today, but instead I came across this. Go figure. I hope you'll share your thoughts on this one... even if you just want to tell me that I'm weird for finding it a favorite.

1 comment:

Mike said...

WORD