26 April 2005

we're not breaking new ground here

REM - Electrolite (right-click to download)

I've always found that it takes me a couple of years to "get" an REM album after it's released. I'll form an opinion that I don't like the albums when they debut, and then a while later I'll revisit them and find that they're alot better than I remembered.

In any case, New Adventures In Hi Fi isn't usually the first REM album most people think of; while I can remember an MTV performance of "The Wake Up Bomb", nothing else about the album really sticks out. But New Adventures is by far my favorite REM album, perhaps because it's an album well suited for driving, which is something I do a fair amount of.

I suppose the song I've put up, Electrolite, reminds me of a different kind of travel, the sort of travel that I hope comes at the moment we die. I'm don't want to get overly sentimental or maybe even creepy about it, but certain phrases in the song kind of sum up how I hope to feel when it's all over. I imagine this is the song I'll hear right after I take my last breath and head off to whatever is next. At least I hope so.

No comments: